Our County – Our Children – Their Future:
The Republican Vision for Education
The biblically mandated goal of education is to “train up a child in the way he should go”. It is every parent’s responsibility to see to it that their child is prepared to be a contributing, self-confident, and self-disciplined member of society. We must equip them with the tools to think for themselves, to be productive, and informed with the ability to exercise their individual talents. In so doing we must also be careful not to discourage their residency in the county by burdening them with a mountain of debt.
The cornerstone of an effective education for a child is concerned, involved parents. Campbell County schools should be dedicated to helping parents train the next generation of leaders for our county and our country.
1. Keep education local: Unfunded federal and state mandates need to be resisted along with every attempt to force Washington D.C. values onto our children. The best way to achieve this is through active, committed parents. Campbell County schools need to encourage parental and community involvement in curriculum decisions and school activities. We should encourage creation of Parent Teams to assist and advise in the curriculum selection process.
2. Re-Directing Dollars to the Classroom: The focus of our education dollars must be our children. Scarce dollars should be re-directed from top-heavy administration and into the classrooms.
3. “Legacy Schools”: We must END the practice of planning schools to need replacement every 25 years. School construction designs – while embracing the best technology – must also be built to last. Our kids are not disposable; neither should their school buildings be. Construction designs MUST be built for the future; No more “planned obsolescence.” We must invest scarce dollars in our children’s’ classrooms, not in repetitive building programs.
4. Recognizing Excellence: We will recognize and commend students who excel in their various areas of study and scholastic achievement.
5. Fiscal Responsibility: One of the most crucial things children need to learn is the importance of balancing a budget. School design and construction MUST be done as efficiently as possible. It is harshly counterproductive to burden our children with mountains of debt as soon as they enter the job market as taxpayers. We must not mortgage our children’s futures.
6. Community Involvement: Campbell County schools should encourage community use of school facilities. All taxpayers contribute to our buildings and should receive benefit. Likewise, Equal Access to school facilities by religious/faith-based groups must be maintained.